Striving for excellence..... Learning for life
Mr Smith, Miss Thomas and Mr Cooper would like to welcome you to the Year Five homepage. Here you will be able to catch up on the latest news and information for Year Five and keep up to date with the fantastic learning and achievements throughout the year!
Remember to check back often as this page will be updated regularly!
English: Gather your things, as we're going on a quest! This half term, Year 5 will be developing their writing skills to create fantastic quest stories. We will be using our class text, The Time Travelling Cat, to develop our language choices and character descriptions. We will also focus on a short story, Alien Landing, to gain a stronger understanding of the key features within a quest text.
Maths: This year, we will be using the Power Maths programme to deliver our maths lessons. Our first unit will be Place Value and we will develop a range of mathematical skills. These skills include; understanding the number line up to 100,000, rounding numbers within 100,000, comparing and ordering numbers and understanding Roman numerals to 10,000.
Do you have a link or skills linked to this topic? We would love to hear from you - contact email@example.com
This year, homework at Sherrier will be looking slightly different. We will still continue with our reading challenge and weekly X-Factor. We will also be introducing more work around vocabulary.
Homework bingo will no longer be sent home but if you wish to carry out any extra activities around our topic there is a list below. However, this homework will not be marked.
• Create a fact file about the River Nile and compare it to other famous world rivers. Include photographs and wow your classmates by showing them the range of amazing animals that live in and by the river.
• Find out who or what ‘Ka’ was. Design a colourful symbol that might represent ‘Ka’ in Egyptian hieroglyphics.
• Make a model pyramid from building blocks – how high can you go? Photograph your achievement and record the number of blocks you used.
• Use the words ANCIENT EGYPT to create an acrostic poem.
• Make flatbread and serve it to your family with authentic Egyptian dips or salads. Find out more about the food of ancient Egypt.
• Visit a museum exhibition on ancient Egypt and write a recount of your trip. Bring back souvenirs to show your class.
• Design 2-D or 3-D Egyptian-style jewellery.
• Use hieroglyphics to write a message to a friend or family member. Can they crack your Egyptian code?
• Make an illustrated scroll to show the journey to the afterlife.
• Find out why animals were so important to the Egyptians. Create an information collage to show your findings, combining text and images.
• Find out what happened to Egypt after the death of Cleopatra VII, the last pharaoh.
Thursday 4th October: Caythorpe meeting in the small hall after school. Please enter school via reception.
Text: The Time-Travelling Cat and the Egyptian Goddess
This week children will demonstrate their skills when inferring information from a text. We will be particularly focussing on the characters in our story. Our main focus will be on interpreting character feelings, actions and motives.
If your child does not have appropriate kit in school then they will not be able to take part in P.E lessons.
Children should have an outdoor and indoor P.E kit. All t-shirts should be white, plimsoles should be worn for indoor P.E and trainers for outdoor. One type of shoe can not be used for both.
There are currently no comments.
Have any questions or queries? Please do not hesitate to speak to us at the door or drop us an email or tweet using the addressed below.